The week building up to Christmas is inevitably a period of havoc and activity in tying up loose ends at work and last minute sprints around Oxford Street for many, however they are also a time for serious reflection. During the busy periods in one’s life, it is incredibly easy to become wrapped up in the present and lose sight of the bigger picture, forgetting your accomplishments and hard-fought victories. Never lose sight of these wins, they provide us with the energy to overcome difficulties and tackle new opportunities in the future.
So do make sure that you take time to block out the noise and reflect, we certainly will be.
So here’s to 2015, a brilliant year for us at Princedale Partners where we’ve gained some fantastic new people and said goodbye to some close friends. A year where we completed some great leadership searches yet experienced even greater pleasure from completing the difficult ones. A year where we expanded our reach internationally and added more strings to our bow within Fintech and our burgeoning Product & Technology expertise. Most importantly, we’re proud of achieving significant business growth whilst sticking to our ethics, treating others and our own people with respect and providing real value to our clients.
From everyone at Princedale, have a Merry Christmas and congratulations for all of this year’s achievements.
Two years since establishing Princedale Partners I am proud of what we have built as a specialist digital headhunting and talent advisory firm. As we look back on 2014 I thought I’d share some of the snippets of what we have achieved and learnt as we look forward to 2015 and growth…
- We’ve worked hard not to overstretch ourselves, only working on four searches at any one time. In my experience too many consulting firms overstretch themselves. We won’t, we believe we will be successful over the long-term if we invest more time upfront, are tenacious in our headhunting, focused in our delivery and stick to our core focus on commercial digital leadership appointments across Europe.
- Our simple mantra. We want to partner with no more than five clients in each of the following consumer sectors; Retail, Marketplaces, Consumer Goods, Gambling/Gaming, Media, Financial Services and Travel. This way we can do the most thorough work for all clients without tying ourselves in knots. These relations will be longstanding and mutually beneficial like any good partnership and we as a firm will be able to maintain our important ethics and not fall in the trap bigger search firms fall into in trying to work with too many clients.
- I have learnt to say no. We cannot be all things to all people and when clients have asked us to help with roles outside of our core focus we have been clear from the outset, often recommending other firms that are better placed (i.e functional technology specialists). We have enjoyed a trial partnership with a contingent recruitment firm that helps clients at the middle management level (60-120k salaried appointments) ensuring that the clients who we can’t help at that level are looked after. What goes around comes around.
- Interim Practice Launch: We’ve been delighted to have been able to help clients with several interim appointments through 2014 covering; Digital Marketing, CRM & Customer, Online Trading, Digital Strategy & Transformation specialists with day rates of £850 – £1750 and terms of 3-9 months. This specialism will be a focus of growth in 2015.
- One of our clients that we have done the most amount of work with over the two years is an international consumer foods group. Not what I had envisaged but a terrific project that we made four placements with. I expect there will be many more consumer goods business wanting to sell, market and more effectively engage through the digital channels cutting out the retailer and I predict this will be a focus in 2015.
- We like to work with businesses of all sizes be it; listed, mid-size and start-ups. In 2014 we have worked with Coca-Cola, Argos, Nike and eBay but also smaller fast growing businesses like; BuyaPowa, First Utility and Secret Escapes. We’re keen to work with more mid-sized growth consumer businesses in 2015 and feel well placed to help here whether that’s taking talent from more established business or from start-up’s.
- We were very proud to be invited to no.10 Downing Street to meet the Digital Advisor to the Prime Minster earlier this year. A great honour and terrific experience. It’s massive by the way!
- Digital Business Leaders Drinks Party: We hosting our annual cocktail party in the summer that involved a heated ping-pong competition at Bounce in Holborn. Great pride was felt in bringing esteemed digital leaders together from across the consumer business world and we were delighted with the feedback and the write-up we got in the Evening Standard! No slideshows on us but people we rate sharing perspectives across digital.
- In 2015 and with a strong foundation for growth I’m particularly excited to be looking at hiring an experienced Headhunter/Partner to work with to augment our position and grow from here. We’re also currently assessing the opportunity to open an international office, more soon.
- And finally… We will be launching our Digital Advisory Boards service (DAB’s) for corporate clients in Q1 2015 in partnership with a high profile author on the subject of Technology Disruption for CEO’s that want to ensure they are up to date on future disruption and not caught sleeping at the wheel. This neatly complements our Executive Search and Interim Placement specialisms and sets us up to help Boards across Europe with greater digital understanding before recruiting.
To all clients and job-seekers that we’ve had the pleasure to work with this year, thank you and we look forward to supporting you in 2015.
MD, Princedale Partners
At the first year anniversary since establishing Princedale Partners I am both heartened and proud to have taken the decision to establish the company and to have worked with some of the most loved brands in both the UK and globally.
The niche we’re carving out is to be the most knowledgeable, connected and consultative specialist digital headhunters in Europe.
Unlike other recruiters in the digital space, our focus is in helping advise and recruit world class digital leaders for established, typically listed consumer businesses. We have on occasion helped some fascinating growth start-up businesses with Board appointments but typically it’s the established brands across; Retail, Consumer Goods, Travel, Media and Financial Services that we have worked with in 2013.
A few highlights include:
- Being contacted by one of the top three brands in the world to conduct their European Digital Director search.
- Working on one of the most high profile Digital Marketing Director searches in the UK supermarket sector.
- Hiring a Managing Director (Germany) for a multi-billion dollar listed international technology business.
- Setting up our Digital Interim practice where we’ve made a number of placements for seasoned digital professionals to help clients with assignments lasting from 3 – 6 months.
- Hiring a terrific Researcher who has been great from the get-go and who I can already see huge potential in long term.
- Being asked to be on a high profile Digital Advisory Board for one of the largest and highly respected organisations in the UK.
- Launching the new service of creating Digital Advisory Boards (DAB’s) for clients that recognise they need insight from highly experienced digital specialists to help them advise and plan for the future to best engage with their customers.